Release of Student Information

Requests for release of student information

According to FERPA, personally identifiable information in an education record may not be released without prior written consent from the student. Some examples of information that MAY NOT BE RELEASED  include:

  • social security number (all, or in part)*
  • driver's license number (all, or in part)*
  • university ID number (all, or in part)
  • birthdate
  • grades/exam scores
  • GPA
  • current class schedule
  • parent name and address

*classified as critical data

  • phone
  • race/ethnicity
  • gender
  • country of citenzenship
  • religious affiliation
  • disciplinary status
  • marital status
  • test scores (e.g. SAT, GRE, etc.)


USSS-05: Release of Student Information Policy

DM-02: Disclosing Institutional Information to Third Parties

Request process for sharing data with third parties

Remember, students may restrict even their public information (i.e. IU email, degree), so it is important to always verify whether any restrictions are in place before releasing even information classified as public.

Open records requests

Open records requests (request for public data) are managed by the Vice President and General Counsel using the form below. Please note, the requestor will be required to sign an affidavit stating the information requested will be used for non-commercial and non-political purposes.

Submit a Public Records Request form

Third party pin access for parents

IU provides students with the ability to authorize another person to view specific types of personal information in the Student Information System (SIS) through One.IU. Individuals granted third party access will have the ability to view personal information, such as: financial aid award and summary information, descriptions of holds on records, grades, unofficial transcripts, class and final exam schedules.

See 3rd party user access

Students who wish to waive their privacy rights

Students may also waive their privacy rights and provide permission to faculty, administrators or advisors, to speak with third parties about their educational records in certain circumstances. In order to waive their rights, a student must provide written consent. Please consult with the Office of the Registrar at your campus if you have questions.

Contact the Office of the Registrar for your campus